January 17, 2024

While Missouri already knew their 2024 opponents, the recently announced dates build anticipation for the season which is eight months away.

On Wednesday, Dec. 13, the SEC and ESPN released the dates for the 2024 football season. The 2024 schedule looks a little different with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC, a 14-week regular season rather than 12 and two bye weeks. 

While Missouri’s opponents were not new information, the Tigers can begin planning their flights for next fall. Here are three takeaways about the matchups and the new format for the 2024 season.

Home is where the start is

During the 2023 season, the Missouri Tigers were designated as the home team in their first four games. The first three games took place in Columbia while game four was held in St. Louis. 

2024 is no different with Missouri staying in Columbia for their first four games. The Tigers will play the non-conference foes Murray State, Buffalo and Boston College before facing their first SEC opponent, Vanderbilt. The team then has their first bye week where they will have a week without a game. 
These games will allow Missouri to ease into the new season, as their four opponents had a combined total of only 13 wins this past year. Under head coach Eliah Drinkwitz, the Tigers are 20-7 in games where they are the designated home team. If Drinkwitz and the Tigers hope to meet or surpass this season’s success, they should embark on a must-win stretch against these beatable opponents at home.

Where did the home games go?

After this cluster of early home games, Missouri will head on the road later in the season. The Tigers will only play one game at Faurot Field in the span of six weeks, facing off against Auburn on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024 for Homecoming

During the road stretch, the team will travel to Texas A&M and Alabama, which is notorious for raucous stadium atmospheres. This six-week, four-game stint will test the Tigers’ fortitude, as 2023 was the first season they had a winning road record since 2018.

Old rivalry, new stakes

2024 marks a new era, adding Big 12 rivals Oklahoma and Texas to the conference. Each team will play one of the newcomers. Missouri is matched up with Oklahoma. 

The Tigers and the Sooners have a long history of rivalry, both in the Big 8 and Big 12 conferences. Currently, Oklahoma dominates the all-time series, leading 67-24-5

Missouri will host the Sooners at Faurot Field for the first time since 2010, when the Tigers upset the top-ranked visitors 36-27. The game is best remembered for redshirt sophomore Gahn McGaffie leading off the game with a kick return touchdown. With both teams coming off 10-win seasons, there will be plenty to rekindle in this rivalry on Nov. 9, 2024.

Even though the 2023 season is still ongoing with the Cotton Bowl against Ohio State on the horizon, it is hard not to get excited for 2024. With key returners like Brady Cook, Luther Burden III and Daylan Carnell, Missouri is ready to prove this year was anything but a fluke.

Edited by Grace Ainger | gainger@themaneater.com

Copy Edited by Briana Iordan