Photo by Hannah Schuh

The Maneater breaks down All in 4 Mizzou’s three campaign objectives: connectivity, unity and inclusivity.

Clay Van Eaton and Emily Brockmann’s campaign for the Missouri Student Association’s presidency and vice presidency is broken down into three main goals. Van Eaton said the slate is “all in” for connectivity, unity and inclusivity.

All in for Connectivity

Van Eaton and Brockmann’s campaign prioritizes increasing freshman involvement on campus,  aiming to connect students with new opportunities and each other.

“With such a big freshman class this year, [we plan on] getting some sort of a packet of information about things to get involved in and just general information about Mizzou to strive for success,” Van Eaton said. 

Van Eaton said the slate plans to use social media to assure students that they aren’t alone.  Brockmann said they will also use social media to get the word out about resources such as the Campus Activities Programming Board and MU’s Get Involved Fair.

“People feel isolated, people feel alone, and just kind of getting people plugged into their positions at Mizzou,” Van Eaton said. “There’s a spot here for everybody.

Van Eaton said another platform goal is to offer monthly town halls or listening posts to hear student feedback and to make the changes students want to see on campus.

“We just want to connect with the students,” Brockmann said. “We want to make their voices heard and hear their problems.”

All in for Unity

Van Eaton said for the slate, unity centers around a campus that celebrates individuality and a shared Tiger spirit.

The slate has reached out to campus student leaders to plan future collaborations, Van Eaton said.

“Our administration would love to work with the ORG office to find ways to make becoming a registered student organization easier and more accessible,” Brockmann said.  

Brockmann said she plans to use her previous experience as the president of a new Recognized Student Organization to find ways to amplify the voice of ORG and make their resources for being an RSO more accessible to students.

“Additionally, we have reached out to organizations such as the Office of Accessibility and ADA and MUPD to see how MSA can collaborate with them,” Van Eaton said.

All in for Inclusivity”

The slate aims to create a more inclusive campus by building an environment that supports diverse perspectives, Van Eaton said. They plan to address accessibility issues for people with disabilities, and hope to remove barriers to accessibility by adding modifications to classrooms, bathrooms and sidewalks.

“People don’t realize items on the ground or in the hallways can interfere with a student’s ability to access their classroom and their safety, so education and awareness are also key,” Brockmann said. 

Van Eaton was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome as a child, which is part of the reason why he prioritizes inclusivity.

“I’ve had the experience of being viewed differently because of my disabilities, but my disabilities have made me more empathetic and also passionate about inclusivity,” Van Eaton said.

The slate wants to connect students with disabilities to mentors who have gone through similar things.

“Having a mentor who has already navigated similar challenges improves a student’s experience and reduces the stigma some of us have experienced,” Van Eaton said.

Mental health is also a priority of the All in 4 Mizzou campaign. The slate cited a 2022 “Partners in Prevention” study about student mental health in Missouri higher education. The study states that 70% of students have experienced anxiety, 55% have experienced depression and 30% have experienced panic attacks. 

“It’s important for students to know they aren’t alone and there are resources available to them,” Van Eaton said. “We’d like to work with MU Counseling Center and the Mizzou Student Suicide Prevention Coalition to raise awareness, normalize conversations about our mental health and ensure that off-campus students also have access to care.”

In their campaign, Van Eaton and Brockmann said that they have had the chance to talk to MSA President Miyah Jones and MSA Vice President Cydney Perkins about continuing the emergency fund. The fund is a single-use financial aid application that helps students pay for critical, basic needs in times of unforeseen situations.

“They [Jones and Perkins] were able to get the ball rolling and are gaining momentum in the right direction,” Van Eaton said. “We see the value in helping [students] through their circumstances and letting them continue their education.”

The MSA election debate will be held on March 4 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the Wrench Auditorium. Students are encouraged to send in debate questions for both slates.

All undergraduate students will be able to cast their vote on vote.missouri.edu or by visiting the MSA Engage Page between Tuesday, March 5 at noon and Thursday, March 7 at 11:59 p.m.

Edited by Sam Barrett | sbarrett@themaneater.com 

Edited by Genevieve Smith | gsmith@themaneater.com 

Copy edited by Sterling Sewell | ssewell@themaneater.com 

Edited by Scout Hudson | shudson@themaneater.com

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.