September 24, 2020

For many Columbia business owners, the start of fall means an uptake in business as people move to the area for school, but with COVID-19 causing local government to emplace regulations on restaurants and bars, many have trouble adapting.

In modifications to the most recent regulations, bars were ordered by the Columbia/Boone County Public Health and Human Services on Sept. 16, with Order No. 2020-11 and Order 2020-11(c) stating that all restaurants that serve alcohol must close by 10:30 p.m. The previous order from Aug. 28, also stated that entertainment centers must operate with less than 100 people and any group gathering at a business is limited to either 50% occupancy or 100 people, whichever is less.

This has caused many restaurant and bar owners to worry about staying in business. Nic Parks, the owner of Silverball, a local arcade bar, expressed such concerns.

“Over 50% of our revenue is after 9 p.m., so it will take a toll on our business,” he said in an email. “I am disappointed in the decision and that restaurants got included in (the) order and concerned that there appears to be no limit to how far these regulations can go.”

These fears have been realized by some who have had to close down business. Columbia’s original alcohol ordinance Order No. 2020-10 and Order 2020-10(c) was enacted on Aug. 28, the same day that The Penguin Piano Bar announced its permanent closure.

“In 2020, our city imposed strict pandemic related restrictions and offered no assistance or relief to the businesses affected,” the company said on its website. “In turn we were forced to close.”

Other bars are shutting down preemptively to avoid this loss of revenue. Matt McGee, owner of On The Rocks, said it’s currently shut down but waiting to see what the city does in reference to the alcohol ordinances. They hope to reopen soon.

“As a establishment that depends on late night business, it doesn’t make sense for us to be open with the 10 p.m. closure rule in place,” he said in an email, in reference to Columbia’s first ordinance.

Despite the changes for many of Columbia’s late-night businesses, the cases of COVID-19 in the area continue to surge. The day before the University of Missouri started in-seat classes on Aug. 23, there were 1,964 cases. Currently, Boone County has over 4,000 cases, creating an over 99% increase in cases in the county.

_Edited by Joy Mazur | jmazur@themaneater.com_