October 14, 2021

Photo by Holden Green

The MU Fencing club is one of many organizations students can get involved with at MU. Its members meet every Tuesday and Thursday from 8-10 p.m. on the South Basketball Courts at MizzouRec. 

At each practice, the team starts with stretches and then warms up together. From there, they break off into skill level-based groups to practice their fencing techniques. 

Freshman Harmon Colvett joined the club within his first few weeks at MU. After fencing in high school and competing in local, state and national-level fencing tournaments, Colvett was excited to jump back into the rhythm of the sport.

“Everyone is extremely friendly and approachable,” Colvett said. “I consider everyone in the club not only my teammate but also my friend.”

The MU Fencing Club is welcome to anybody, regardless of skill level. All members are made to feel included. 

“Practices have been extremely well tailored to everyone’s individual needs,” Colvett said. “Beginners receive individual instructions from coaches, while more experienced fencers are able to practice and spar with whomever they want to get better.”

Members are also given the option to compete at fencing tournaments, which the season ultimately revolves around. Planning the season is done by the executive officers, and as vice president of the MU Fencing Club, sophomore Peter Kim is hopeful for an active 2021-2022 season. 

“The season differs a lot by how proactive the executive officers are,” Kim said. “For me, I want to get as many tournaments in as possible.”

The bonds formed within the club are a highlight for many members, especially senior Jackson Witt. Witt joined the club when he was a freshman. He first learned about the program at an activities fair and joined even though he had no experience. 

“I picked up a flyer and thought, ‘Well, I [have] nothing better to do tonight.’ So I showed up and I am still here,” Witt said.

Witt is able to look back on all of the fun he has had participating in the club’s activities, especially time spent with his teammates. 

“My favorite part is the people,” Witt said. “It’s such a fun group that gets to hang out regularly.” 

Alongside making friends, the club also has benefits for physical health. Kim has been fencing since the beginning of his high school career, and said that he has reaped physical advantages ever since. 

“Fencing is a really good cardio exercise,” Kim said. “It is a whole body workout. Some say it’s more intense than running, as it has a bit of an adrenaline rush to it.”  

Colvett said active fencers pick up skills and routines through the sport that translate into their everyday lives. 

“After fencing for years, I’ve noticed my reaction times getting faster,” Colvett said. “This improvement has helped everywhere. I’ve realized I’ve been able to take tests and quizzes easier. Being able to make decisions faster has improved my test-taking ability, which is something I was not expecting.”

Another positive aspect that comes with fencing is the improvement it makes on one’s mental stamina. With a solid background in fencing, Colvett has experienced that first hand. 

“Fencing is chess at the speed of sound,” Colvett said. “There are a million ways to win and a billion ways to lose, and you have to pick one of these million ways in a fraction of a second.”

Fencers are often put into stressful situations where they must respond immediately. This urgency often requires them to better fine tune their mental endurance. 

“In fencing, you always have to think three moves ahead,” Kim said. “Or at least that’s what my coaches have told me. That kind of mindset can really help you in life.”

Kim has made it his mission to teach what he knows to his fellow fencers. In fact, Kim’s favorite part of the club is being able to lead other members.

“I love teaching the new fencers how to fence,” Kim said. “The fact that I can introduce other people to it and see them improve from where they first started out is amazing. Overall, I think fencing is kind of a niche sport and if you’re looking to add excitement in your life, I’d say it’s definitely something I would recommend.”

Edited by Emmet Jamieson | ejamieson@themaneater.com