December 13, 2023

Photo by Thomas Raymond

The award, named after Arkansas walk-on turned NFL draftee Brandon Burlsworth, has been won by Baker Mayfield, Hunter Renfrow and most recently Stetson Bennett.

The awards from Cody Schrader’s historic final collegiate season have begun to roll in. 

After being unanimously named to the All-SEC first team Monday morning, the graduate was awarded the Burlsworth Trophy at a ceremony at the Crystal Bridges Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas on Monday evening. The Burlsworth Trophy is awarded to the most outstanding player in college football who began their career as a walk-on. 

Schrader was chosen for the award over James Madison junior defensive tackle James Carpenter and Oklahoma fifth-year wide receiver Drake Stoops. He is the first player in team history to win the award. 

Schrader attended Lutheran South High School in St. Louis, Missouri but did not receive any Division I scholarship offers. He attended Division II Truman State for four years, where he racked up 3,084 yards and 39 touchdowns. 

Following his time at Truman State, Schrader decided to walk on at Missouri prior to the 2022 season. In his first year with the Tigers, he ran for 745 yards and nine touchdowns. It wasn’t until his second year at Missouri where he took all of college football by storm. Schrader has run for 1,499 yards and 13 touchdowns this season, leading the Tigers to a 10-2 record. He finds himself just 105 yards shy of Missouri’s single-season rushing yardage record, which was set by Tyler Badie in 2021. 

Schrader has already etched his name into the SEC history books this season, as he became the first player in SEC history to rush for 200 yards and receive 100 yards in the same game during Missouri’s 36-7 rout of Tennessee in Week 11.

The Burlsworth Trophy is not the only award Schrader could potentially receive, as he is also a finalist for the Doak Walker Award, which is given to the best running back in college football. Schrader will be competing with Oklahoma State’s Ollie Gordon II and North Carolina’s Omarion Hampton. That award will be given out during the College Football Awards on Dec. 8.

Schrader and the Tigers will suit up one final time in 2023, when they take on the Ohio State Buckeyes on Dec. 29 in the Cotton Bowl. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX. 

Edited by Quentin Corpuel | qcorpuel@themaneater.com

Copy edited by Grace Knight | gknight@themaneater.com

Edited by Sophie Rentschler | srentschler@themaneater.com