November 11, 2013

When you’re on the run and in the mood for something just a little bit out of the ordinary, a normal sit-down restaurant is not always the place you want to go. One of Columbia’s food trucks might just do the trick, though.

The city has started gathering a collection of food trucks that serve everything from gourmet seasonal food to sandwiches that use two whole donuts as buns. If you’re ready to try out something new and join in on the food truck craze, then one of Columbia’s food trucks might just be for you.

**Pepe’s**

Pepe and Katy Perez opened up Pepe’s Food Truck in May 2012. After Pepe decided that he wanted to develop his own menu, he quit his managing job at El Maguey and started up a business. Pepe’s serves Mexican cuisine and uses fresh ingredients to prepare the dishes from scratch.

One of the best parts of this food truck is that nothing on the menu costs more than $10. The menu includes marinated pork quesadillas, a shredded beef burrito and tamales.

The truck is most often found near Tropical Liqueurs on South Providence Road and operates a weekly lunch and dinner schedule with occasional late-night openings.

**Sunflower Waffle Company**

Sunflower Waffle Company can be seen around Columbia quite often, and is easy to spot with a signature big bright sunflower painted on its truck. Charles Rosenthal and his brother, Daniel, co-own the business. The truck specializes in just what you’d expect — waffles — but with some twists.

For example, you can get a boneless chicken breast that’s rolled into a waffle and served with sausage bacon/gravy or syrup. Another crowd pleaser is the traditional chicken and waffles. The truck caters the nighttime crowd quite often.

On weekend nights, the truck often parks next on the corner of Cherry and Hitt streets. On Sundays, the truck travels to the North Village Art District Farmers and Artisans Market.

**Ozark Mountain Biscuit Co.**

One of the newest food trucks to come to Columbia is Ozark Mountain Biscuit Co. Owner Bryan Maness has always dreamed of being a food truck chef, and after working at both Broadway Brewery and Café Berlin, he has finally made the leap to follow his dream.

The truck serves local, seasonal food that is inspired by Maness’ grandmother’s southern cooking that he grew up with. The menu offers items such as fried green tomatoes, biscuit sandwiches, boneless pork chop with goat cheese, sweet corn fritters and chocolate bourbon pie.

The truck is usually open 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and for some late nights. Its weekly locations can be found on its [Facebook page](https://www.facebook.com/OzarkMountainBiscuitCo).

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.