November 28, 2021

Graphic by Rachel Taylor

Content Warning: This content discusses addiction and contains spoilers.

“You” season three, released on Oct. 15, had me booing at my screen in frustration, gasping at its unpredictability and wondering why no one suspected the new couple when multiple people inexplicably went missing. 

Horror and romance may seem like an odd combination and definitely would be if done incorrectly, but “You” does an amazing job of blending the two. I didn’t think there was much more that could surprise me after the plot twists in past seasons, but I was proven wrong. “You” season three is full of plot twists that had me on the edge of my seat. 

​​The show was entertaining and easy to follow. Though it has only 10 episodes, there were multiple points where the show could have ended, but instead continued to drag out which was a tad frustrating. However, I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something good to binge. While the show itself is captivating, it can also be educational and open your eyes to the creepy reality of stalkers.

In the finale of season two, viewers learned the shocking truth that Love Quinn (Victoria Pedretti) has the same murderous tendencies as Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgley). Yes, he is finally getting a taste of his own medicine. Karma. In a fit of rage, Goldberg comes close to killing her as well. But, the news of her being pregnant stops him dead (metaphorically speaking) in his tracks.

In an effort to have a fresh start in season three, the couple tries to acclimate to suburban life and raise their son, Henry “Forty” Quinn-Goldberg, while dealing with infidelity and their toxic relationship. The season revolves around his plans to escape Quinn’s clutches, while keeping his son at the forefront of his thoughts. 

In season three, I began to think Quinn was the only one who deserved him after she embraces the violence that hides behind his wit with open arms and a cupcake from Quinn’s new bakery. However, we see Goldberg’s hypocritical side when he can’t return the acceptance he craves. That being said, there is a lot of character development on Goldberg’s part as he gains some self-awareness after accepting that Quinn is a mirror of himself.

From the literary snobs to spiritual “gurus,” the past seasons call out phonies. However, season three delivers a refreshing change of pace that focuses more on parenthood and married life. The vibe paralleled playing house, giving the show a more stable feel – until I was reminded that either Quinn and Goldberg were constantly on the verge of killing the other. 

I was disappointed in Quinn this season. Her sloppy and impulsive killing left Goldberg’s methodical brain to clean up her messes, which was agitating. However, any character who makes you feel a strong emotion, even annoyance, is doing top-notch work. Goldberg and Quinn’s love is the most dangerous thing about the show, which is why their child is just as much of a victim as the people they killed.

Like in past seasons, the new episodes involve a lot of subplots, from Quinn’s annoying mother to the so-called perfect couple, that make it difficult to keep track of everything going on. This season gives social commentary on how consumed we are in the lives of social media influencers with the example of neighborhood mommy bloggers. It also brings up controversial topics like anti-vaxxers in a pandemic world whose decisions jeopardize everyone around them. With a modern approach of love, the couple explores open and polyamorous relationships in an attempt to hold onto the passion that has faded. Finally, they touch on drug addiction and recovery with Goldberg’s new love interest.  

Since the show is narrated through Goldberg’s perspective, it’s easy to fall victim to his charm for a split second. By addressing the woman he is currently infatuated with as “you,” it feels like he is directly speaking to you. You want to dislike him for all the awful things he has done, but his skewed reality sets in, and it becomes difficult to see from any other point of view. His charisma and endearing speech are why four women have been in love with him in the past three seasons. 

Overall, the ending is a lot brighter than the past seasons and leaves room for imagination and conspiracy. Just like the first two seasons, season three was full of crime, love and suspense that made it top-tier and much anticipated. “You” season three is available to stream on Netflix. It has also been confirmed that there will be a season four. 

Rating: A-

Edited by Shannon Worley | sworley@themaneater.com