November 19, 2023

Photos By Lily Kleinhenz and Thomas Raymond

In a game that came down to the wire, the Tigers made a few crucial plays to give themselves their ninth win of the season

The No. 9 Missouri Tigers had exactly 1:36 to gain a victory over the Florida Gators. 

The drive started with a couple quick passes from junior quarterback Brady Cook to senior running back Cody Schrader and sophomore receiver Mekhi Miller to gain a first down, but a false start penalty and completion to Schrader for a loss of two yards left the Tigers with a 2nd & 17 field position. 

On second down, incomplete pass. On third down, another incomplete pass. 

Missouri’s New Year’s Six Bowl projections seemed in jeopardy, but as time and time again proven by the Tigers, they found a way to win. 

Theo Tr 2 2
Senior wide receiver Theo Wease Jr. runs down the field toward the end zone at Faurot Field on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2023 at Faurot Field in Columbia, Mo. Wease’s reception was his only of the night totaling 77 yards for a touchdown.

On 4th & 17, Cook found a wide-open Luther Burden lll to complete a 27-yard gain, putting the Tigers in solid enough field goal positioning. However, with enough time on its hands, Missouri completed two more passes to set up Harrison Mevis for a 30-yard field goal.

On his senior night, Mevis once again came up clutch for his team by hitting another game-winning field goal, defeating the Gators 33-31. 

Mevis Tr 6
Senior kicker Harrison “Thicker Kicker” Mevis kicks a 24-yard field goal to make the score 33-31 against Florida on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2023 at Faurot Field in Columbia, Mo. Mevis successfully made four field goals out of four attempts against the

The game was a back and forth battle down the stretch of the second half, featuring a total of eight lead changes over the course of the game. Each team showed grit and fight, but in the end, Missouri narrowly came out on top.

After battling a lingering injury for weeks, Burden looked back to being arguably the best receiver in college football. The sophomore led the team in yards with 158 on nine catches, including the most important play of the game. On multiple plays, the receiver shook off Florida defenders with ease, showcasing his ability to maneuver his way to large gains on offense. 

Schrader was once again a key player in Missouri’s win, going for 148 yards on 23 attempts and scoring a touchdown on his senior night. It’s been a tremendous season for the running back, and his story from becoming a walk-on two years ago to now being a top player at his position in college football is making its rounds across the country. 

It was far from Cook’s best performance of the season — throwing for 331 yards on 20-of-34 pass completions — but he showed up for his team when it mattered most. The quarterback’s ability to control and lead Missouri late in big games has been questioned in the losses to LSU and Georgia, but he proved tonight that he can handle the pressure. 

The Tiger defense didn’t play to its standards of previous games this season, but still made some big plays. Senior defensive back Jaylon Carlies recorded Missouri’s only interception on the night in the second quarter, while linebackers Chuck Hicks and Triston Newson both came away with nine tackles each. 

Missouri now has a 9-2 record with one game remaining, and sends off its seniors from Faurot Field with an incredible victory.

Studentsection Florida11 18 1
Sophomore Nathan Butler hypes up the student section on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2023 at Faurot Field in Columbia, Mo. The Missouri Tigers defeated the Florida Gators in a close win of 33-31.

“What a way to send the senior class out,” head coach Eli Drinkwitz said. “This game’s kind of the story of their career … really proud of them.”

The Tigers will look to earn the elusive 10-win mark against the Arkansas Razorbacks on Friday, Nov. 24, in Fayetteville at 3:00 p.m.

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.