May 6, 2024
This sports melodrama is a ‘love’ game with themes of jealousy and revenge — all on the tennis court

“Challengers” is the sexiest movie of the year.

Director Luca Guadagnino has his finger on the pulse of contemporary iconicism. His films tackle unconventional romances. With the infamous age difference in “Call Me by Your Name,” a sensuous witch coven in his remake of “Suspiria” and a cannibalistic couple in “Bones and All” — the ménage à trois that is “Challengers” is a continuation of his seduction. 

The film cements Guadagnino as an auteur filmmaker and a virtuoso of cinema.

Zendaya stars as the commanding Tashi, who captures the attention of tennis partners Patrick, played by Josh O’Connor, and Art, played by Mike Faist. Thirteen years later, Tashi coaches and later marries Art, who has left his old friend behind.

The remnants of a friendship are displayed, tension rising as we see the difference between the two men. Patrick plays tennis for means of necessity, and is past his prime; Art has made a fortune playing tennis. Patrick is dark, brooding, angular and masculine; Art is soft and sweet, his fluffy blonde curls juxtapose Patrick’s black slick locks. 

It is clear after watching “Challengers” that tennis is the most erotic sport — full of short shorts, tennis skirts, dripping sweat and echoing grunts as players hammer the ball to their opponent. The intimacy of a tennis match is used as a vehicle to explore a throuple whose complexity is only rivaled biblically.

This contrast is consistent with the boys’ relationship with Tashi. As they both vie for her attention in the genesis of the film, Patrick is her equal, while Art is her opposite.

The crowd ritualistically moves their heads left, right, left, right, obsessing over every hit. Art and Patrick’s mutual longing gazes toward Tashi break this flow, as they watch her every move.

Zendaya’s classical beauty is accentuated by her wardrobe, designed by J.W. Anderson. As Art’s coach, Tashi dresses in business casual on the court and is well-groomed at home: she wears a sleek black dress while watching the news, silk pajamas peek out from behind her robe and a white satin blouse bounces as she walks in slow motion. 

There is also attention to detail in the mise-en-scene, and there are a few possible references to Guadagnino’s 2017 masterpiece “Call Me by Your Name,” such as a dance scene in blue clothes and a bowl of peaches strategically placed in frame. 

“Challengers” is beyond exciting, accentuated by the soundtrack by Trent Reznor (lead vocalist of Nine Inch Nails) and his best friend Atticus Ross. They have scored films such as “Mid90s,” “Waves,” “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “The Social Network.” The soundtrack at times is reminiscent of house music, making a repetitive sport such as tennis seem gripping.

Fans of the Italian director’s previous work will notice a more toned-down aesthetic than they are used to, with a much more modern feel. This film is not set “somewhere in northern Italy” or accompanied by various Sufjan Stevens songs to make you cry. “Challengers” is a Guadagnino film turned up to 100, with all of his classic tropes as an auteur, but tinged with jealousy.

One difference in this film from his others is the lack of his frequent collaborators. Guadagnino tends to reuse actors: Tilda Swinton (in four of his nine films), Fabrizia Sacchi (three films), Timothée Chalamet (two films) and Dakota Johnson (two films). All three of his lead actors were new to him.

However, the “Challengers” production crew was full of familiar faces.  For example, editor Marco Costa has worked on four projects in a row with Guadagnino, including his upcoming film “Queer.”

Another stark difference is the fact that “Challengers” was not an adaptation of a book. “Call Me by Your Name” and “Bones and All” were both books first. “Suspiria” is a remake of the 1977 film of the same name and the anticipated film “Queer” is based on William S. Burrough’s romance novel. 

This time around, Guadagnino did not adapt someone else’s work. Instead, screenwriter Justin Kuritzkes was compelled to write this script, seeking inspiration from the match between Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams in 2018, his belief that tennis is “homoerotic” by nature and the deep intimacy between opponents in tennis.

“It’s a very repressed sport, because again, the point is no contact,” Kuritzkes said. “The point is to just miss the other person. To me, that’s almost like a Victorian romance. It’s very sexy.”

The film is an instant queer cult classic.

Ragtag Cinema reverberated with gasps and uncomfortable snickers. “Challengers” will shock any audience, deliberately placing small details that will come back and blow you away. The film is intoxicating and will enthrall audiences until they call “game, set and match.”

Edited by Molly Levine | mlevine@themaneater.com

Copy Edited by Logan Gee and Briana Iordan | biordan@themaneater.com

Edited by Sophie Rentschler and Emily Skidmore | srentschler@themaneater.com

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.