Ryan Magdic stopped LSU’s comeback in the second game, sealing the 8-7 win for Missouri’s only win of the weekend.

Missouri baseball returned home after a single game at Missouri State to face off in their sixth SEC series of the season — this time against Louisiana State University. 

LSU started out hot, scoring eight runs in the first three innings, which included three home runs. The most impactful home run came from designated hitter Hayden Travinski, who smashed a three-run home run over the wall in the third inning.

Missouri got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the third, with freshman catcher Tucker Moore getting walked and making it around the diamond to score thanks to a single from Jeric Curtis. 

LSU went on to score three runs in the fourth inning plus one more in the sixth inning to seal the game. 

Missouri bounced back in game two, defeating the visitors 8-7. After a leadoff walk from sophomore outfielder Brock Daniels, senior Trevor Austin hit a ground-rule double to get the Tigers on the board. Junior catcher Jedier Hernandez lined one back to the pitcher which was bobbled by the shortstop, allowing Austin to score and give Missouri a 2-0 lead.

Both teams hit an RBI single in the second inning as Missouri held a 3-1 lead.

The game had a scoring hiatus until the bottom of the fifth inning. With two outs, Missouri scored four runs with RBIs from Austin, graduate infielder Matt Garcia, and junior infielder Danny Corona. Up 5-1, Corona hit a 2-RBI single, extending Missouri’s lead.  

LSU chipped away at the lead with a solo home run in the top of the sixth from sophomore first baseman Jared Jones. The visitors tacked on another pair of runs in the eighth inning after a two-run home run to center field from Travinski. 

In the bottom of the eighth, Daniels added one last run to Missouri’s lead with a home run heading into the final inning. 

Down by four, LSU started putting the pressure on Missouri’s fielding by hitting two back-to-back doubles, with one of them scoring a run early in the inning. This led Missouri to switch to graduate pitcher Ryan Magdic. Magdic faced adversity early as junior third baseman Tommy White hit a home run to right field, clearing the bases and making it a one-run game.

Magdic shut down the scoring after the home run with a strikeout and forcing a ground out, helping Missouri hang onto its 8-7 lead.

Missouri scored first in game three after a pair of runs in the third inning. Daniels and Austin got on base with a bunt and a single, moving up to third and second from a wild pitch. Lovich came up next and pushed the ball through due to an error, scoring both runners.

LSU tied up the game in the fifth inning. With two runners on base, sophomore outfielder Paxton Kling brought them both home with a deep double.

Missouri’s bats struggled against LSU’s pitching, held scoreless for the final six innings. LSU scored a run in each of the last four innings, winning game three 6-2.

Missouri (19-23, 6-12 SEC) faces a daunting task as they travel to play No. 3 Tennessee (34-7, 12-6 SEC) from April 25-27.

Edited by Dylan Heinrich

Copy edited by Grace Knight

Edited by Sophie Rentschler