May 5, 2024

Missouri baseball kept on pace with Tennessee but lost the last two games 3-2

After a long home stretch, Missouri baseball headed to Knoxville for a tough matchup against No. 3 Tennessee

The Tigers found a way to get hits but struggled to score in the first game, losing 10-1

The only run secured was a home run by junior infielder Danny Corona in the seventh inning. The two teams had similar success at the plate. Tennessee secured ten hits to Missouri’s nine, but the Volunteers stretched their scoring and secured runs in seven of the innings.

The opposite was true for the Tigers, as Missouri was able to get multiple runners-to-scoring positions throughout the game, coming up short numerous times. The Tigers did succeed in getting a runner to third base in the first and ninth innings, but outs were followed up in both of those instances

In the second game, Missouri’s defense was able to put up a contest against Tennessee and keep the game close, but  3-2 was the final result. 

The game was scoreless throughout the first three innings. Tennessee took the lead in the fourth by scoring on a wild pitch and an RBI double from junior outfielder Hunter Ensley

The Volunteers went up 3-0 in the seventh inning with senior catcher Cal Stark leading off with a double and scoring during a groundout.

Missouri found momentum and got on the board in the eighth inning. Corona started the inning with a single but was thrown out on sophomore outfielder Brock Daniels’ single the next at-bat. Senior infielder Trevor Austin brought in Daniels with a two-run homer, closing the gap to 3-2. A groundout and a strikeout ended the Tigers at-bat.

Missouri got a runner on base in the ninth inning but couldn’t secure another hit, ultimately losing.

The final game was similar, but with more scoring in earlier innings. Missouri went down early and tried to come back but failed to grab the win, losing 3-2 again.

Missouri started the game with a single from Daniels and he stole second base shortly after. Austin brought him home the next at-bat with an RBI single. This gave the Tigers their first lead of the weekend.

Tennessee responded in a familiar fashion, getting two runners on base with singles. A third single from sophomore outfielder Kavares Tears would have loaded the bases, but a throwing error from right field allowed the runners to advance and one run score. The rest of the runners scored later on another single, Tennessee going up 3-1 in the first.

The game went scoreless until the fifth inning, with Missouri getting another run. Freshman outfielder Kaden Peer and infielder Drew Culbertson led off by getting walked. Peer then got caught stealing third after a pitching change. 

Sophomore infielder Jackson Lovich hit an RBI double after the failed attempt, scoring Culbertson, and a throwing error to home base allowed him to get to third base. With the game 3-2,  Lovich sprinted towards home after Daniels hit a grounder, but he was thrown out at home ending the inning. Missouri would come up short for the rest of the game, unable to avoid the series sweep.

Missouri travels back home for their last home stretch of the season with  two SEC series, one against South Carolina that starts on May 5, and the other starting on May 10 against Auburn.

Copy edited by Grace Knight | gknight@themaneater.comEdited by Genevieve Smith | gsmith@themaneater.com

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.