January 17, 2024

The nation’s No. 7 leading rusher announced his decision to join the Tigers next season

On the same day Missouri’s graduate student running back Cody Schrader was named to the All-American First Team, another one of the nation’s top rushers announced his intention to join the Tigers backfield. 

Georgia State graduate transfer Marcus Carroll will join Missouri after spending four seasons with the Panthers. This season, he finished as the No. 7 leading rusher in the country, amassing 1,350 rushing yards while adding 234 receiving yards and 13 total touchdowns. For his efforts, Carroll was named to the All-Sun Belt First Team. 

With running backs Schrader and Nathaniel Peat becoming ineligible upon the conclusion of this season, the Tigers’ starting slot is wide open. As one of the top running backs in the transfer portal, Carroll is a strong contender for the starting spot.

In an interview with On3, Carroll addressed his decision to sign with Missouri.

“The culture at Missouri is amazing, from the players to the coaches to the overall support from the community,” Carroll said.

Carroll also credited Schrader’s remarkable jump from Division II and development with the Tigers as influencing his decision.

“Cody Schrader is an amazing player and just seeing him come from Division ll and develop to the SEC leading rusher in one year says a lot about not only his work ethic, but the development and mentality that floats around at Mizzou,” Carroll said.

Carroll is the second major splash of the transfer season for the Tigers. With the recent addition of Toriano Pride, one of the nation’s top cornerback transfers, Missouri is making big waves heading into the new year.

With a strong returning group of players and many fresh faces, the recent recruitment of transfers will bolster the already talented Missouri roster. Head coach Eliah Drinkwitz and the Tigers look poised to contend for a playoff spot next season.

Edited by Chase Gemes | cgemes@themaneater.com

Copy Edited by Briana Iordan