December 12, 2023

Photo by Logan Morris

Drinkwitz led Missouri to its first 10 win season since 2014, and first ever New Year’s Six bowl game

2023 has been a year full of exciting wins and unforgettable moments for Missouri football —  but none of it would have been possible without the work of head coach Eli Drinkwitz

From a team that was projected to win less than seven games by several betting sites prior to the season to a team who will be battling Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl in less than a month, Drinkwitz has made Missouri a top team in the SEC for the first time in nearly a decade. 

As a result, Drinkwitz’s efforts were recognized on Tuesday, as the SEC named him its 2023 Coach of the Year. 

Hired prior to the 2020 season, Drinkwitz sported a career record of 17-19 through his first three seasons at the helm of Missouri’s football program. He never had a winning record in SEC play or won a bowl game. While he wasn’t completely on the hot seat, some fans were ready to see a change if the Tigers failed to show improvement in 2023.

To say Missouri showed improvement in 2023 would be a massive understatement. Drinkwitz led the Tigers to a 10-2 record, their highest regular season win total since 2014. Drinkwitz also had his most successful season in the SEC, going 6-2 in conference play. This was good enough for Missouri to end the year second in the SEC East, their highest finish since winning the division in 2014

Missouri also placed ninth in the final College Football Playoff poll, which is the Tigers’ highest standing in the poll since the committee’s establishment in 2014

Drinkwitz’s victory marks the second time in Missouri football history that they have had the SEC Coach of the Year, with Gary Pinkel being the only other Tiger coach to win the award in 2014. 

The announcement comes just one day after The Associated Press announced their All-SEC teams, which featured seven Missouri players, the most the Tigers have ever had in one season. 

The hardware might not be over for him yet, though. Drinkwitz has also been named one of 12 finalists for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award, given to the best coach in all of college football. The winner will be announced on Dec. 20, and Drinkwitz is vying to become the first winner in Missouri’s history

Drinkwitz will attempt to win his first career bowl game on Dec. 29, when Missouri takes on Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl. The game will be played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Edited by Quentin Corpuel | qcorpuel@themaneater.com 

Copy edited by Sterling Sewell | ssewell@themenaeter.com