Photo by Aleigha Hornaday

The NFL Draft process is an exciting time for prospects and on March 25, 14 former Missouri football players participated in Missouri’s pro day . During pro day they got the opportunity to practice drills and showcase their talents in front of several NFL scouts.Here’s a look at how the draft process has impacted the former Tigers following pro day.

Senior running back Tyler Badie, who broke the single-season rushing record for Missouri this past season, feels confident in his ability to perform at the highest level.

“I told the scouts that I’m going to be a mismatch nightmare wherever I go,” Badie said. “I already dominated the SEC, and I competed with the guys who are top-ranked, so I wanted to go out there and prove myself to everybody.”

Graduate wide receiver Keke Chism believes he’s grown enough as a player where he’s ready to take the next step and enter the NFL. Chism originally played at Division II institution Angelo State before transferring to Missouri.

“I offer a team a big wide receiver who can make plays,” Chism said. “At this level you have to be able to make big-time plays, and with my size and explosive ability to make plays, I know NFL teams would love to have that.” 

The draft process has been easier for some players than others. 

Graduate defensive lineman Chris Turner, who suffered a season-ending injury versus Texas A&M in October, explained the struggles he faced through the draft process while working to overcome the injury. 

“It was pretty hard to prepare mentally,” Turner said. “Some days I woke up and said that I don’t want to do this or I don’t know if I’ll be ready, but I just have to work through all of that.”

For other players, the fact they made it to this point is a dream come true considering their lack of offers coming out of high school.

Senior wide receiver D’ionte ‘Boo’ Smith joined the Tigers as a walk-on in 2020 after transferring from Coffeyville Community College.

“It’s crazy to believe that I am here at the moment, but I always hold myself accountable,” Smith said. “It’s surprising to see myself here after how far I’ve come, but I always believed.”

Graduate linebacker Blaze Alldredge played for Los Angeles Pierce College and Rice before joining Missouri in 2021. 

“As a kid coming from high school with no offers, JUCO and then a group of five team, it’s exciting to even be here, and now we play the waiting game to see where I end up,” Alldredge said.

While these players are preparing for the draft, they are also learning what it takes to play in the NFL and where they can grow. 

After going through the NFL Combine and pro day, redshirt senior defensive back Akayleb Evans learned to stay patient throughout the whole process.

“I was able to go out there and show my skills and versatility,” Evans said. “I was able to learn to be calm in precious situations, and I was able to transfer that into my game.”

Graduate defensive back Allie Green IV learned that hard work can take you a long way throughout this whole process.

“I learned to just work hard and be resilient,” Green said. “Things come up, but you still have to put in work and create your own energy because that’s what you will need at the next level.”

At the end of the day, these 14 Missouri players hope to bring positive aspects to the team that decides to draft them and want to make the most of the opportunity if they are drafted.

“The team would get a guy that loves to play ball,” graduate offensive lineman Michael Maietti said. “A guy that’s going to push everybody in the building and just a true competitor.”

Graduate defensive lineman Kobie Whiteside hopes to see himself on a roster and hopes for the opportunity no matter where he goes.

“In a year from today I hope to see myself on a team,” Whiteside said. “I don’t care what team or where I end up. I just want the opportunity, and I won’t take it for granted.” 

Fourteen Missouri players hope to hear their names called during the NFL Draft on April 28-30.

Edited by Brandon Haynes | bhaynes@themaneater.com

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.