January 24, 2024

Missouri gymnastics shows stellar performance against Georgia with multiple gymnasts earning career-high scores

After a rough SEC opener against Alabama last week, Missouri gymnastics shined against Georgia in an SEC matchup.  

Missouri opened the meet on bars while Georgia headed to the vault. Senior Kyra Burns started the Tigers strong with a stuck landing and a 9.825 score. Graduate Hollyn Patrick followed with a strong 9.850. It was senior Mara Titarsolej, however, who stole the show with her near-perfect routine scoring a massive 9.975 and giving the Tigers much needed confidence moving forward in the meet. Missouri wrapped the rotation with a total score of 49.250. Georgia had a solid vault rotation with no errors or large deductions resulting in a total score of 49.025. 

In the second rotation, Missouri moved to vault while Georgia competed on bars. 

Graduate Sienna Schreiber opened the vault by sticking her Yurchenko full and scoring a 9.85. Both junior Amari Celestine and junior Jocelyn Moore furthered their strong history on the event scoring 9.900 and 9.950 respectively. The Tigers earned a nice total score of 49.325. Georgia rallied on uneven bars but it was freshman superstar Lilly Smith who earned a perfect 10.000 — the first 10 on bars in 31 years for Georgia. The Bulldogs received a total score of 49.250.  After two rotations, Missouri retained its small lead of 98.575 compared to Georgia’s 98.275. 

Missouri competed on floor in rotation three and leadoff. Schreiber continued her steady meet by scoring a 9.900. Moore wrapped Missouri’s strong rotation with the Tigers’ third 9.900. They earned a massive total score of 49.425, higher than the first meet this year. Sophomore Sidney Fitzgerald fell and only scored a 9.100, but due to strong scores later, it was dropped. Smith followed up her bar routine by scoring a 9.950. Scott ended the rotation by moonwalking on the beam, a Georgia gym tradition, and scoring a solid 9.875. Georgia had a total score of 49.350, but by the end of the third rotation, Missouri increased its lead to 148.000-147.625. 

Missouri ended their meet on beam while Georgia moved to floor. Missouri looked much more comfortable than the previous meet against Alabama on beam. Celestine showcased a confident routine and a career high 9.925. Schreiber continued her incredible performance by scoring a near-perfect 9.975 and helped Missouri reach a total score of 49.400. Georgia exuded confidence on the floor with multiple 9.9s but it was not enough to stop the Tigers. Georgia finished with a total floor score of 49.425. 

Missouri prevailed over Georgia with a final score of 197.400-197.050. The Tigers also won multiple event titles. Moore won vault with a 9.950, Schreiber won beam with a 9.975 and the all-around with a 39.525. Missouri heads home for a battle against No. 8 LSU on Jan. 26. 

Edited by Grace Ainger | gainger@themaneater.com Copy edited by Sterling Sewell | ssewell@themaneater.com