Photos by Evan Holden; Edited by Cara Penquite

A crowd of about 50 students gathered in Speakers Circle on Tuesday at noon to support transgender rights by chanting and holding affirming signs.

Two MU student organizations, Oasis and the Mizzou Young Democratic Socialists of America, planned the rally to protest three pieces of legislation introduced in the Missouri House of Representatives and Senate regarding transgender people’s access to health care and participation in school sports.

According to a press release from the student organizations, the protest was against Senate Bill 843 and House Bill 2649, also known as the Missouri Save Adolescents from Experimentation, or SAFE, Act. Both bills would prohibit health care providers from administering gender-affirming care to transgender minors. In addition to these restrictions, Senate Bill 843 would limit minors’ access to health insurance for transition procedures, and House Bill 2649 would limit health insurance coverage regardless of age. Another bill protested at the rally, House Bill 2140, would ban public schools from allowing female transgender athletes to play in women’s sports. Currently, all bills are still in committee. 

“These bills affect the trans youth of Columbia and the state of Missouri, and we can’t stand to watch the rights of our trans peers be torn away by these bills,”

SAID OASIS AND THE MIZZOU YOUNG DEMOCRATIC SOCIALISTS OF AMERICA

A majority of Tuesday’s crowd held signs displaying phrases supporting transgender rights and expressing outrage against the legislation. Some signs included phrases such as “Protect trans lives” and “Please don’t kill my trans friends.” Other signs spoke directly from personal experiences: One said, “My identity is not a crime.”

Several students voiced their concerns regarding the bills at the rally to support transgender students. May Hall, the incoming president of Oasis, was one of the main speakers. Hall spoke about transgender experiences and led the crowd several times in a  chant saying, “Trans rights are human rights.”

Hall later said the crowd should contact Missouri government officials to enact change. Their names and contact info were listed on handouts the organizers distributed. 

“It is very easy to be loud and to let our discomfort be known,” Hall said. “It’s hard to yell at the senator who is doing it.”

Oasis vice president Fletcher quoted German theologian and poet Martin Niemöller’s poem “First They Came” in their speech. The poem focuses on speaking up for others. Fletcher said this legislation would only lead to more harm if passed.

“Once we fall, there will be more,” Fletcher said.

Freshman Oasis member Sporke Mayson said seeing the number of people who attended the rally was inspiring.

“It made me happy to know that not only do I have support from Oasis and from my friends, but from random people walking down the street,” Mayson said.

One of the first students who stopped to watch the rally was senior Ashley Ironside. She was leaving class when she passed by the crowd. 

“More people need to hear about these things,” Ironside said. “I think a lot of people do care. We just need to get more people to advocate for these things.”

Others in attendance included community member Derrick Fogle, locally known as “Hacky Sack Guy,” with the words “PROTECT MO TRANS YOUTH” painted on his back. 

The rally lasted 90 minutes. Hall concluded the event by saying the rally should not be the end of their advocacy. 

“Don’t go invisible after this,” Hall said. “We’re continuing to be visible on campus. We refuse to back down.”

MAY HALL, INCOMING PRESIDENT OF OASIS

Edited by Piper Molins | pmolins@themaneater.com and Zoe Homan | zhoman@themaneater.com  

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.