October 12, 2023
Missouri swimming and diving gets season started at the SMU Classic with multiple top three finishes in individual events.

Missouri swim and dive kicked off their season at the SMU Classic this weekend, where they faced off against Auburn, Louisville, Miami, Texas and USC. Missouri’s women’s team finished No. 4 overall, while the men placed No. 5.

In the 400 yard medley relay, both the women’s and men’s teams began their season with fourth place finishes. Missouri freshman Piper McNeil placed fourth in the 400 yard individual medley and sophomore Fernanda de Goeij finished No. 10. On the men’s side, senior Mikolaj Malec placed No. 6, while graduate student Will Goodwin finished No. 12.

The women’s 100 yard butterfly saw junior Taylor Williams place fourth with a time of 52.47 seconds. This time earned her fourth place in the event. The men’s 100 yard backstroke saw Missouri’s first top-three finish of the day with Grant Bochenski racing to third.

On the women’s three-meter platform, senior Kayla Wilson jumped her way to fourth place with a score of 280.60. On the men’s one-meter platform, sophomore Collier Dyer placed third, scoring 315.95.

The 100 yard breaststroke saw success for the Tigers on both the women’s and men’s side. Sophomore Lina Bank and freshman Logan Ottke both placed fourth in their respectively.

Missouri concluded competition with multiple medal finishes. Junior Grant Bochenski earned second in the 100 yard freestyle, senior Kayla Wilson won the women’s one-meter diving and Williams placed first in the 200 yard butterfly.

Missouri will look to continue the positive momentum at their next meet against Alabama on Oct. 20th.

Edited by Quentin Corpuel | qcorpuel@themaneater.com
Copy Edited by Sterling Sewell | ssewell@themaneater.com
Edited by Sophie Rentschler | srentschler@themaneater.com

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.