Photos by Hannah Schuh

Receiving over twice as many votes than the opposing slate, President-elect Miyah Jones and Vice-President-elect Cydney Perkins will lead the Missouri Students Association beginning April 11. This wraps up three days of voting and a three-week campaign period. 

Miyah Jones and Cydney Perkins of the Mizzou4U campaign have been elected as the new Missouri Students Association president and vice president, respectively, for the 2023-2024 school year with 64% of the votes. The slate takes office on April 11.

Mizzou4U earned 1,389 votes, and Reimagine Mizzou earned 682 votes. Nine percent of the undergraduate student body population voted in this year’s election period — a 33.4% increase in voter turnout from last year’s election.

31 1
Mizzou4U vice presidential candidate Cydney Perkins addresses the crowd alongside presidential candidate Miyah Jones in Columbia, MO on March 6, 2023.

Mizzou4U’s platform consisted of three goals: circulate knowledge, establish culture and allocate resources. Jones and Perkins plan to establish a culture of safety and transparency for all students on campus by focusing diversity in the MSA executive cabinet and providing more opportunities for student input and involvement. A full breakdown of its campaign promises can be found here.

In a press release, the Board of Election Commissioners thanked the Reimagine Mizzou slate “for their hard-fought campaign.”

The results of the MSA related ballot measures, such as students’ views on the organization’s name and purpose, were not released. According to the BEC, the results will be for internal use so MSA can set its priorities for the future.

The general election also elected 12 new academic senators. Aidan Joyce, Aidyn Gleason, Virginia Zanella and Vishvi Aurora will serve the College of Arts and Science. Kate Formhals and Alyssa Fitzgerald will serve the School of Journalism. Corder Lehenbauer and Logan Kuykendall will serve the College of Engineering. Hailey Whitehead and Drexel Douglass will serve the College of Agriculture, Farming, and Natural Resources. Hayden Schwartz will serve the Sinclair School of Nursing, and Spencer Dickey will serve the Trulaske College of Business.

Edited by Zoe Homan | zhoman@themaneater.com
Copy edited by Grace Knight

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.