July 31, 2022

Graphic by Eliana Kinzer

You’ve been loaded up with campus maps, maybe even taken a walking tour, but let’s face it: a 1,262-acre campus takes a moment to get used to. After checking out lecture halls and dining options, start making MU your home with the locations you’ll really need. 

Get to know your roommate

Nothing like sharing a 13-by-16 foot room with a stranger, right?

Whether or not this turns into a life-long friendship, you’ll certainly spend a bunch of time with your first year roomie. A picnic on the Quad or in Peace Park will get you out of the room, into the sunshine and on the road to a great year. Pick up snacks, people-watch or throw around a frisbee while getting to know your dorm-mate. Make a tradition out of it and watch your relationship grow.  

Nap

Use in case of emergencies. 

Halfway through the semester, you’ll likely find yourself bone-tired, basically crawling across campus. The trek to the dorm is long, coffee is not working and all will appear desperately hopeless. The MU Student Center basement is your oasis. With comfy couches, excellent natural light and a central location on campus,  this is the best place for a quick snooze in between classes. You’ll just have to get over potentially drooling or snoring in public. 

Study

Socially: skim your notes and focus on chatting. 

After your beauty rest, the main floor of the Student Center is a great on-campus location to study. Or, at least, say you’re going to study. Swamped with dining options, booths and fellow students, it’s the perfect place to grab a snack and get to know classmates. You might not check all your assignments off the list, but you’ll start building a friendship.

For real: pick a library, any library, and scope out your spot. 

This is an obvious answer, yes, but with Ellis Library and MU’s eight branch locations, there are plenty of options. From study rooms, tables and booths or a comfy chair tucked into a corner ––

find your personal nook and stick with it. Consistency, and getting away from the dorm, helps establish a great mindset for collegiate academics. Or really efficient procrastination. 

Recover from a night out

A perfectly legal and parent-approved one, of course. 

It’s no secret that Wheatstone Bistro has the best breakfast sandwiches on campus. After a late night, try your best to make your way into Memorial Union and select the greasiest option. Paired with a Lakota coffee, or a Starbucks if you’ve got time to wait in a long line, pop some ibuprofen and wash your decisions away. And, with the busy location, you’re sure to run into a friend looking for a debrief on the evening’s activities. If a 15-minute walk is too big a feat, Rollins Dining is a solid second choice, one a little closer to the dorms. 

Listen to music

Pop in your headphones and watch the sunset. 

Stankowski field is not just for intramurals, like the annual back-to-school volleyball tournament. It’s also a great place to take a break from it all, listen to your favorite album and zone out while watching the sun set over MU’s campus. Enjoy the fresh air and take some time for yourself. 

Go for a Hot Girl Walk

HGWs are open to everyone, boost your mood with a morning on the trail. 

The transition to college life can often become very stressful and overwhelming. The MKT trail, located just past the Mark Twain Dorms, is a great way to get off campus and out of your head. Invite a friend or make the trek alone –– the well worn path and its unique rock faces is a great place to ground yourself. If you’ve got access to a car, the hike near the Devil’s Icebox is a fantastic afternoon trip. 

Cry

Unfortunately, it’s going to happen, best to prepare. 

Hopefully no one has to utilize this tip, but public bathroom stalls will be your best friend for a quick release of emotions. Privacy, accessibility and proximity to lecture halls make this the best option for a small sob. The transition to college life is not an easy one, so there’s no shame in feeling overwhelmed. Let your emotions out, steady yourself, call a friend and get back out there. 

Take a Date

New flames: first dates

Coffee orders say a lot about a person. Venture off campus to one of Columbia’s several coffee shops for the perfect first date. Shortwave, Lakota, Acola and Coffee Zone are all walkable from campus –– take your future beau on a stroll for a latte, excellent atmosphere and some flirtatious conversation. If they’re a dud, you’ll at least get caffeinated.

Four’s a crowd: double dates

The first few dates have gone well and now it’s time to introduce them to your friends. For a stirring double date, check out some of Columbia’s more artistic offerings. Head into the Ragtag Cinema for dinner and a movie, catch a MU performance at the Rhynsburger Theatre or check out a concert at the Blue Note. 

Onwards and Upwards: breakup dates

If you find yourself in need of a clean break, may I suggest the Rec center? Hype yourself up for the conversation or let your new-ex work through their heartbreak with some light cardio. The busy location will, hopefully, prevent any large displays of emotion and gives you an easy excuse to leave the situation rapidly. Or, maybe, scope out a booth at Morts. It’s still public and you can celebrate (or mourn) with waffle fries. Your choice! 

Call Family 

Come on, they haven’t heard from you in weeks, you’ve got at least 15 minutes. 

In the whirlwind of classes, parties, assignments and new friends, it’s easy to feel lost. Catch up with those you know best while waiting on your laundry. Not only will your relatives be wildly impressed by your newfound-adulthood, but you’ll walk away with advice and clean sheets. Camp out by the drier for an hour and pick up the phone!