October 2, 2022

Graphic by Jasmine Greene

MU Professor at the school of Health Professions Dr. Stephen Sayers, who teaches Pre-Professional Physical Therapy, is no stranger to the creative process when it comes to writing his books. Since moving to Columbia 20 years ago, Sayers has developed an appreciation for this town and what makes it special and wanted to use his writing talents to highlight his favorite aspects.

Originally from New England, Sayers’ past fictional works have taken place in similar settings. His other three books fall into the thriller/horror genre, but his most recent book, “100 Things To Do In Columbia, MO Before You Die,” prompted him to write about the Midwest and forced him to change his tactics as he explored the realm of nonfiction writing. With some help, Sayers was able to create his list of 100 things to do in Columbia and released his book on Sept. 1.

“I really got a sense of this town that I didn’t have before,” Sayers said. “It gave me an opportunity to do a lot of things that I hadn’t been doing.”

Sayers started brainstorming the 100 things in the book by speaking with the friends he’s made since moving to Columbia 20 years ago. One of these friends was LG Patterson, picture editor for Inside Columbia Magazine and MU alumnus, whose photographs appear scattered through this guidebook.

“We sat down and he told me what he knew about [Columbia] and I started giving him other things that he didn’t think of,” Patterson said.

To celebrate the release of Sayers’ fourth book Skylark Bookshop, listed in the book as number 95, is hosting an event this Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

“When I was thinking about doing a kickoff, that’s the first place I thought,” Sayers said. “Skylark is a real gift to Columbia. You walk into that place and it’s just such a perfect, independent bookstore.”

Carrie Koepke, manager of Skylark Bookshop, not only appreciates Sayers’ use of literacy in his latest book, but also thinks it is important for Skylark to be involved in the community.

“It’s a celebration of Stephen, the book and Columbia,” Koepke said. “Columbia is a uniquely small town for being large…. It’s a weirdly literary town, so the more involved we can be in interacting with the books and authors, the better.”

Skylark’s event will be just that — a chance for the community to interact with books and the authors that enhance them.

“I will thank everyone for coming, but I want people to just enjoy being in that beautiful space,” Sayers said.

The book is not only for those new to Columbia, it’s also for those looking to try new places in the city they call home. Number 42, the Hartsburg Pumpkin Festival, is in the beginning of October. This two-day event is perfect for people gearing up for fall.

“It opens up your eyes to things that happen outside your bubble that you wouldn’t know about,” Patterson said. “It’s so easy to stay in and feel safe, [but] once you’re driving through the river bottoms of Hartsburg and you see nothing but pumpkins, it’s kind of fascinating.”

There’s plenty of other ideas for things to do in Columbia for those who don’t love pumpkins — 99 others to be exact. For nature lovers, Sayers devotes a whole section of his book to the different trails and parks.

“I always go back to Eagle Bluffs,” Sayers said. “That to me is just this magical place where you’re going through the woods and all of a sudden you’re on top of this bluff and it’s this amazing view. I think the little secrets you learn about places when you go through the process is pretty cool. You find those little tidbits throughout the book.”

Despite the wide range of topics the book covers, there’s one thing for certain — this book encapsulates the spirit of Columbia.

“I was amazed at the city of Columbia,” Sayers said. “There is an emphasis on having a great quality of life in this town, whether it’s through supporting conservation lands and parks or the events that are thrown.”

Edited by Egan Ward | eward@themaneater.com

Copy Edited by Grace Knight and Julia Williams | jwilliams@themaneater.com

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.