August 19, 2023
The University of Missouri warns about the possibility of students’ personal data being compromised amidst the data breach of administrative software.

The University of Missouri’s Office of Information Technology sent out an email Wednesday morning warning students of a potential data breach. An external hacking group accessed the administrative file transfer software, MOVEit, the university believes. 

The breach potentially compromised 40 million people’s information, as the hacking group gained access to data to over 600 global entities in addition to the UM System, including the federal government, state governments, health care organizations and corporations.

Departments at MU use the MOVEit software to transfer large files, including those that assist in the universities enrollment process, which means that students’ personal data might have been compromised. 

Since being informed of the breach, the university has involved federal law enforcement and begun its own investigation. This large-scale investigation is still on-going and many details, including the number of individuals involved, are still unknown.  

Consumer rights firm Hagens Berman has initiated five class action lawsuits against MOVEit’s parent company, Progress Software. Hagens Berman reports that breached information includes contact information, billing data, banking information, dates of birth, pension information, medical records and social security numbers. 

The Office of Information Technology shared actions that students can take to prevent the unauthorized use of their personal data. It advises students to check their credit report annually, consider placing a credit freeze on their credit report, to block electronic access to their social security information, remain suspicious of any unknown emails and to not share personal information via email, social media or any other electronic platforms. 

Via the UM System:

You can get your credit report for free by going to AnnualCreditReport.com.  

Block electronic access to your Social Security information by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.Edited by Scout Hudson | shudson@themaneater.com