November 14, 2021

Graphic by Rachel Taylor

It feels like a “Million Years Ago” since we have heard from the UK singer who put all her emotions into tracks that hit us hard every time we press play. At last, it’s time to reunite with the amazing Adele and see how she’s doing with her new music soon to be released. 

Adele is a singer-songwriter who became famous back in 2008 when she was just 19- years-old. Through her career, she has become a Grammy-Award winning artist, with over millions of albums sold worldwide. Adele also had a child by the name of Angelo in 2012 with her now ex-husband, Simon Konecki, whom she married in 2018. In 2019, after announcing her divorce, Adele disappeared for what felt like an eternity to heal from her heartbreak. 

On Oct. 15, Adele released her new single “Easy On Me” which held the answers to the questions we’ve had for years. Where did she go? What happened to her? What are her plans moving forward? Who is she now? With Adele’s sudden return, fans are raving over the heart-gripping lyrics of the beloved artist.

As the song begins, she starts off with, “There ain’t no gold in this river, that I’ve been washing my hands in forever.” This shows a sense of how she feels about her past and we can understand that she was in the same spot for a long time. The chorus then comes in and the piano drops with the words, “Go easy on me, baby, I was still a child” revealing how she didn’t know any better during her troubles with her husband. 

Despite the pain from her lyrics, Adele is on the path to a better health and lifestyle as she continues to go on her journey to find true happiness ever since she turned 30. 

Fans listen to the single with love and empathy for the singer and the things that she has been through. With a changed appearance, Adele still walks with confidence that her supporters admire her for. Aside from focusing on her divorce, this song is believed to be in connection with her old songs as well as an explanation for her 9-year-old son about why she did what she did for when he gets older. 

In an article written by Billboard, they dive deep into how her songs could be related to one another. As an Adele fan, I have to agree. There’s no way that they don’t connect in some way. 

In the music video of “Chasing Pavements,”  it shows her walking in her hometown to someone’s house. And with “Rolling in the Deep,” she builds a house for herself, which leads to her moving into the house in the music video “Hello.” Finally, in “Easy On Me,” she leaves that house, signifying her growth from the very beginning. How clever is that, even if it wasn’t intentionally planned?

Some do argue that this new piece is just like her previous music and doesn’t have much of a different vibe to it. Tweets claim, “We get it. He broke your heart. Haven’t you had any other life experiences?” and “How are people stanning new Adele. It’s so boring.” 

Despite these comments, it doesn’t change the fact that she’s back and better than ever. 

As we know, her other albums are also numbered, which is highly impressive to have that consistency over the years. You have, “25,” “21,” and “19,” all released with two to four years in between them. Adele displays a thoroughness and passion she has put into all of her songs that makes them a breathtaking sound to listen to. 

I would recommend this single to anyone who just wants a new outlook on life. “Easy On Me” is an uplifting story that allows you to feel serenity as you get through your everyday life. Adele struggled all the time, not just with her divorce but her mental state as well. She fought and made it through the storm after many defeats. Her songs are a way to mature and move on from the things that can cause so much suffering. 

In the end, there are many fans that are excited and ready for her new album, including me, and can’t wait any longer. There’s no doubt that she will blow us away with her magnificent voice and talent for reaching out to her fans in ways other artists can not. 

Edited by Elise Mulligan | emulligan@themaneater.com