December 8, 2017

Missouri football head coach Barry Odom filled a vacancy that had been open since September when he promoted defensive backs coach Ryan Walters to defensive coordinator on Friday.

“I’m really excited for Ryan and the stability that he will bring to our program,” Odom said in a Mizzou Athletics news release. “He’s one of the best recruiters I’ve been around and his football IQ is top of the line. He’s been a great addition to our staff.”

Walters had been coaching defensive backs since the 2015 season, when he arrived from Memphis along with Odom.

Amid news regarding offensive coordinator Josh Heupel and offensive line coach Glen Elarbee leaving Missouri for Central Florida, Odom praised Walters for his loyalty.

“We’ve been able to work together now for some time, and he’s had an opportunity every year to go somewhere,” Odom said. “He cares about our student-athletes and he cares about having a great defense.”

Walters oversaw a secondary that played well down the stretch this year, as six of Missouri’s 12 team interceptions on the season came from defensive backs in the final five games.

“This is definitely very humbling; I’m excited and grateful for the opportunity,” Walters said. “Any time you get a chance to work for a great man in coach Odom and a great school like the University of Missouri, it’s very exciting.”

Walters will make his debut as the team’s defensive coordinator in the Texas Bowl against the Texas Longhorns on Dec. 27.

_Edited by Joe Noser | jnoser@themaneater.com_