The Battlehawks built off their thrilling week two victory with a great performance against a conference rival

In week three, the St. Louis Battlehawks looked to continue their stride after defeating the Arlington Renegades in front of a record-breaking home crowd in week two. The matchup against their conference rival, the San Antonio Brahmas, resulted in a win for the Battlehawks with a final score of 31-24. 

This was a pivotal matchup, which solidified conference standings for the future. Both teams have strong players including quarterbacks, AJ McCarron of the Battlehawks and Chase Garbers of the Brahmas. St. Louis also features wide receiver Marcell Ateman, who leads the league in receiving yards.

Both teams came out swinging to start the game. On the first drive of the game, San Antonio went on a 40-yard drive that resulted in a 35-yard field goal. St. Louis responded back with a 49-yard touchdown drive and a failed 2-point attempt. The Battlehawks took the 6-3 lead into the second quarter.

Shortly into the second quarter, the Battlehawks extended this lead with a 70-yard drive and a 20-yard touchdown reception by wide receiver Hakeem Butler. Tight end Jake Sutherland completed the 2-point conversion as well. 

The Brahmas came roaring back, responding with a long drive that was capped off by a 2-yard run into the end zone by running back John Lovett. This cut the lead to 5 with under two minutes to go in the first half. St. Louis wanted the last word, as Andre Szmyt knocked through a 44-yard field goal to give the Battlehawks a 17-9 lead heading into the locker room.

The second half did not start off well for the Battlehawks, as wide receiver Ja’Marcus Bradley fumbled the ball on the first play, resulting in the Brahmas getting the ball in scoring territory. The Battlehawks defense only allowed a San Antonio field goal. St. Louis rebounded with a field goal of their own on the next drive. 

Heading into the fourth, St. Louis led by just 2 points after Anthony McFarland’s 8-yard rush into the end zone for the Brahmas. Eventually, St. Louis got to 3rd and 17 from their own 18-yard line. McCarron found Butler for a crucial 33-yard reception and first down, which later resulted in a field goal for the team.

The Battlehawks started to run away with the game, literally, as running back Jacob Saylors came in for a 19-yard rushing touchdown and made a catch on the 2-point conversion. This put St. Louis up 31-18 with 8:33 left in the fourth quarter. The Battlehawks proved too strong to push back against. The St. Louis defense made a crucial fourth down stop to win the game 31-24, improving their record to 2-1.

McCarron completed 19 of 27 passes for 152 yards. The Battlehawks had 19 total carries for 113 yards on an efficient 5.9 yards per carry on average. Saylors led the way with 62 yards on just seven carries. In the receiving game, it was Butler’s show. He accounted for well over half of McCarron’s passing yards with six receptions for 87 yards and a touchdown.

The Battlehawks’ defense bent, letting up some points and good drives while obtaining no sacks, but it didn’t entirely break. Szmyt went 3-3 on his field goals, including a 54-yard kick in the middle of the third quarter, which extended the Battlehawks’ lead to 8.

Copy Edited by Briana Iordan | biordan@themaneater.com

Edited by Genevieve Smith | gsmith@themaneater.com

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.