GIFT GUIDE: FOR: The ‘rents

What to give the people who gave you life.

At times, parents can seem like the hardest people on your Christmas list for whom to shop. What do you give the people who gave you life?

What many parents want most is the gift of spending time with their busy college student. Here are a few simple ways to spend time with your parents. Let your presence be your present.

Who doesn’t love reminiscing on flawless and funny photos? A perfect gift idea to give a parent is a photo collage of family pictures or even just a simple single photo in a frame. This is a meaningful present that a parent will cherish and one that will not end up at the bottom of the closet. A nice photo can be a pleasant reminder of you while away at college.

Is your mom or dad a dyed-in-the-wool sports fan? Splurge a little for your parent (and yourself) and buy two tickets to a game. What better way to spend a cold winter weekend after Christmas than hanging out at a hockey game live in action? Or, get a ticket to something like baseball or football –– it’ll give you both something to look forward to once the warm weather rolls back around.

Everyone loves getting pampered and relaxing. What better way to splurge on your hard-working ‘rent and spend some quality time together than by purchasing a spa package or pedicures for two at a local salon? It’s a bonding experience you can both enjoy.

Or, looking to spend time together without strangers and those weird aromatherapy candles? Have a movie night! A simple and inexpensive gift — get your parents’ favorite movie and accompanying snacks. It’s a great way to spend time together, and who knows, maybe you’ll find a new favorite flick.

Not feelin’ any one the above suggestions? Fear not: You can never go wrong with a gift card. While they used to be considered impersonal and boring, gift cards are becoming a popular way to ensure your recipients get exactly what they want. Treat your parents to a gift card from their favorite restaurant or store. Or, better yet, take ‘em out for a nice dinner (or just a really great cup of coffee). It’s a great way to catch up and remind them how much you care.