Letter to the Editor: March of Dimes must change research policies

The last issue of The Maneater had an article about raising money for the March of Dimes. Many people are unaware of this fact, but the March of Dimes sponsors a great deal of animal cruelty in its birth-defect research.

Examples are: addicting pregnant animals to narcotics or nicotine, then killing and dissecting the mothers and babies.

Although the effects of these drugs on offspring differ in different species, and the effects on human babies are well-known and widely documented, this research continues. More than 63 million animals are used for experiments in the United States each year. It is unfair to our fellow beings to waste their lives on unnecessary research, which is of dubious benefit to us.

The March of Dimes has a lot of money. In my opinion, it should find different ways to prevent birth defects, such as a birth-defect registry.

When babies are born with birth defects, the mothers could fill out a confidential survey about their health habits and lifestyle during their pregnancy, and where they lived and traveled during their pregnancy. This information, when analyzed, could not only point out new causes of birth defects, but indicate environmental hazards to unborn children" thereby enabling public-health officials to take positive steps toward the prevention of these birth defects.

Please do not support or endorse the March of Dimes. Instead, write letters urging them to implement new, cruelty-free procedures in their campaign against birth defects. Thank you.