MSA restructuring letter was misinformed

I would like to respond to the comments made by Todd Smith in a Feb. 24 letter regarding the Missouri Students Association restructuring plan ("MSA Restructuring Plan is Not Fair to Students").

First, and foremost, you'll note the current MSA structure is unfair to students. With 250 seats that are disproportionately given to residence hall floors and Greek houses, it's hard to accurately represent the campus whenever we work on student issues. For example, only 43 percent of students live in the aforementioned groups, but they account for more than 70 percent of the seats. It's not the job of MSA to represent every Greek chapter or residence hall floor on campus. After all, isn't that what the Residence Hall Association, Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council are for? As it is, residence halls and Greek houses have more MSA Senate seats per unit than representatives to their respective student government. Furthermore, organizations such as National Pan-Hellenic Council of MU have no representation in MSA just because they don't live in a house like other Greek chapters. Ridiculous, isn't it?

You'll note that every organization we're working with in restructuring is a student government on campus, not some arbitrarily assigned student organization. Each of these represents a particular constituency, whether it's RHA and students living in residence halls or Four Front and minority students on campus. As such, we are not planning on giving representation to each of these organizations capriciously" rather, we want to work with them so their constituents, ordinary students, are represented in a fair and equitable manner.

I would also like to point out to Mr. Smith that, under the current system, double, triple and even quadruple representation occurs. If you are an African-American woman living in a residence hall that is a part of a PHC sorority and in the School of Business, you are represented four times. This is a problem in the current system. If you have a better solution to this problem, and believe me, I've spent countless hours working on this particular aspect of Proposition Omega.

I must say I respect Mr. Smith's opinion in this manner" however, I feel it is an uninformed one. Proposition Omega is much more complex than a single article in The Maneater can hope to explain. Because of this, MSA Senate cabinet has been meeting with all the different student governments on campus to discuss this, as well as hosting open forum meetings to inform students about what we're doing and to get their input. If you want to know exactly what we're hoping to do, come to one of these meetings at 8 p.m., every Monday in 233 Brady Commons. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions and listen to your thoughts. After all, I'm only one student, and my opinion on this matter isn't worth more than anyone else's.