February 7, 2023

Photo by Michael Baniewicz

Baniewiczm Potluck 01/27/23
Mizzou YDSA Secretary Mel Tully scoops chili onto a plate during the Bodily Autonomy Potluck in Columbia, MO on January 27, 2023. The chili was prepared by Rev. Josh Huber of the Cavalry Episcopal Church.

The Mizzou Coalition for Bodily Autonomy hosted a potluck advocating for expanded Plan B access at the Calvary Episcopal Church on Jan. 27 for students, politicians and community members to attend. 

The coalition, comprised of seven student organizations and two community organizations, held its first rally in support of bodily autonomy on Oct. 6, 2022, under the organization of the Mizzou Young Democratic Socialists of America. It has convened a number of times since, including for a candlelight vigil at Jesse Hall on Nov. 13, 2022. The potluck is the coalition’s first event of 2023.

“[The coalition was] discussing ways to kick off this semester, and we figured a potluck would be a good way to do it,” Mizzou YDSA chair Galen Zavala Sherby said. “Free food can attract a lot of people, and so can the prospect of social change.” 

The coalition made three demands of MU administrators in October: provide free contraceptives for students, end alleged censorship of MU Social Justice Centers and make a statement regarding the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, which effectively overturned Roe v. Wade. 

The Bodily Autonomy Potluck represents the start of a new coalition initiative. In addition to pursuing their previous demands, the coalition aims to focus on expanding contraceptive access on campus to include Plan B, an emergency contraceptive. 

“Coming into this, we wanted to make a change that was actually tangible for the student body,” Mizzou YDSA Secretary Mel Tully said. “An emergency contraceptive like Plan B, it’s expensive … It’s like 40 to 50 bucks. And for college students, that’s a lot of money.”

The night began with the potluck itself, which took place in one of the church’s dining rooms with foldable, plastic tables. Attendees grabbed an assortment of food from tables in the front, including brownies, pizza and chili.

Following the meal, U.S. Senate candidate December Harmon and state Reps. Adrian Plank and Mary Steinhoff gave speeches concerning the role legislation plays in regulating bodily autonomy. 

Baniewiczm Potluck 01/27/23
US Senate candidate December Harmon speaks about what bodily autonomy means to her in Columbia, MO on January 27, 2023.

“(The coalition) asked me to talk about what bodily autonomy means to me,” Steinhoff said. “What’s weird about that is it’s really personal. And I think at the heart of it, that’s what’s so messed up about this. Why are we bringing all of this out into the public when bodily autonomy is personal to every single one of us?” 

The floor then opened for members of the audience to address the room. Eleven individuals spoke on issues such as abortion access, availability of birth control and transgender rights.

“It is sickening to see people try and tell me how to live, trying to take away my rights, trying to tell me that how I feel and who I am is nothing more than a mirage,” MU student Nathan Gilbert told the room. “All I can do is somedays look at the prices of my hormones going up steadily … panicking because I’m not sure if state legislation will change to where I can’t afford to live this way.”

Coalition leaders then spoke of their desire to discuss their demands with Mun Choi, the UM System president and MU chancellor. Though coalition organizers had planned to convene with Choi on Nov. 1, they turned down the proposition on the grounds of Choi declining to hold the meeting with a member of the press in attendance.  

Zavala Sherby concluded the event by urging people to attend a public meeting with the UM Board of Curators on Feb. 9 at MU. 

“(The meeting with the Board of Curators) is one of our only chances at actually getting to confront all of them in mass because they don’t live here,” Zavala Sherby said. “This is our chance to actually stand face to face with the people who make the decisions.”

Edited by Annie Goldman, agoldman@themaneater.com

Copy edited by Mary Philip