The Tigers’ offensive woes continue after a 2-1 series loss in Athens

Another road series, another series loss for No. 13 Missouri softball. While the Tigers avoided getting swept by No. 9 Georgia, they have now lost all three SEC road series. A common theme is the team’s poor offensive output.

Offensive trouble

In SEC play, Missouri’s losses have come from an inability to score runs. During the Georgia series, the Tigers were successful getting on base. During its two losses, Missouri registered 15 hits, which only translated to four runs. 

This included loading the bases in the seventh inning with one out in the series finale, trying to tie the game or get ahead. The Tigers could not capitalize, finishing the game with two straight outs. In its two losses this weekend, Missouri finished 1-12 with runners in scoring position.

Most of the hitting was done by a small portion of the lineup. Freshman Abby Hay, junior Kara Daly and senior Alex Honnold accounted for 11 of the 15 hits in the two losses. 

One player who had a frustrating weekend at the plate was senior Jenna Laird. In the three games, Laird finished 0-12, dropping her batting average by 0.030 points. However, among qualified players, her 0.340 average still ranks second on the team behind Honnold.

Big plays from Abby Hay

Only a freshman, Hay has turned into one of the top offensive contributors for the Tigers. Hay finished the weekend 6-8 with three extra base hits. This included a home run in game three, which gave the Tigers a temporary 2-1 lead. 

After starting the year on the bench, Hay has become a fixture at first base dating back to the east coast trip back in March. She has recorded 16 hits in her last 15 games. 

Part of this hitting success can be attributed to Hay’s background in playing baseball, as softballs are seen as easier to hit due to their larger size. 

While Hay has plenty of room to improve in the field and on the basepaths, there is no denying her raw hitting talent, which will likely become a mainstay of Missouri softball for years to come.

Final game fumbles

The Tigers now sit at 8-10 in conference play after the Georgia series. When it comes to the first two games of a series, Missouri is 8-4. That record plummets to 0-6 for the third and final games of Missouri’s weekend series. 

In all three home SEC series, the Tigers won the first two games to secure the series win, then lost the Sunday finale.

“We just put so much emotion … into our first two (games) that we’re a little out of gas on day three,” head coach Larissa Anderson said after the third game of the Florida series. “So we got to evaluate a little bit more in terms of recovery and what we’re doing to prepare.”

In games one and two against conference opponents, Missouri averages 4.7 runs offensively per game. This number drops down to 1.2 during the third and final game. 

At home, Missouri is 6-3 in the SEC. That number drops to 2-7 on the road. Luckily for the Tigers, they will return home for a three-game series against No. 17 Mississippi State from April 27-29.

Copy Edited by Briana Iordan | biordan@themaneater.com

Edited by Genevieve Smith | gsmith@themaneater.com 

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.