October 20, 2023

Photo by Hannah Schuh

From nostalgic parades to evolving traditions, a lifelong Columbia resident reflects on the nuances and shifts of MU’s celebrated Homecoming festivities over the past nineteen years.

Homecoming in Columbia, Missouri? It’s a big deal. Every year, not just MU alumni, but all of us townsfolk get into the spirit. Growing up, it was all about the parade. For five-year-old me, it was all, “candy, candy, candy.” Now, as a MU student? It’s still all about candy.

Everyone knows the drill, MU did the homecoming thing first. We’ve been at it since 1911, calling ourselves the “First and The Finest.” And the themes? They’ve been all over the place: “Homecoming Hootenanny” in ’63, “New Fight, Same Bite” when I was a candy-crazed kid and “Paint the Town Gold” my freshman year. That parade though? Magic. I mean, who didn’t dream of being on a float, tossing out MU swag?

When homecoming hits Columbia, you can feel it. Streets are packed, alumni are everywhere, families, students — you name it. Old friends catching up and those “haven’t-seen-you-in-ages” moments. It’s home.

Beyond football, there’s homecoming royalty. MU started that whole tradition, can you believe it? Right here in Columbia, we kicked off the whole “crown and sash” tradition that has spread to high schools and colleges across the country. Every time I see someone with that homecoming king or queen glow, I can’t help but think, “MU did it first.” 

The older I get, the more homecoming feels different. It used to be about scoring the most candy. But today, it awakens nostalgia. It’s thinking about those good ole days and how they’ve shaped me. But some things don’t change. That feeling of Homecoming excitement is still the same.

Stepping onto MU’s campus, the prominence of Greek life caught me off guard. Their pomping is commendable but at what cost? For those of you who don’t know, pomping is the process of rolling colored tissue paper into small balls, which is then placed onto parade floats. Pomping may be done by a variety of student organizations, but the students who aren’t in Greek life certainly are not required to pomp for hours a week! 

Homecoming at MU currently has a strong Greek life focus, as many of the events are tailored to the interests and participation of sororities and fraternities. One prominent example is the Homecoming Talent competition. While technically open to all students, participation seems to be predominantly from members of Greek life. In my opinion, a pattern has appeared to form which fosters an environment where, despite the inclusive invitation, the event is perceived as almost entirely a Greek life affair. In my experience, even though events are officially open to the entire student body, the strong presence of Greek life members sometimes creates an atmosphere that feels exclusive to me.

Everyone at MU has a different Homecoming experience. While pomping and talent shows may be a part of the average Greek lifer’s, parades and candy is mine. How can we ensure that every Tiger, regardless of affiliation, feels equally included in the homecoming experience? 

Looking ahead, I have high hopes for MU’s Homecomings. Sure, bigger and louder has its moments, but what I’m really rooting for is that warm, close-knit feeling I experienced growing up in Columbia. I hope that the Homecoming Steering Committee will take on the challenge of creating a more welcoming Homecoming. Whether that is by creating more official events tailored towards non-Greek life students or inviting a larger variety of organizations to participate, I think it is certainly a necessary change. Here’s to hoping future homecomings bring back that cozy community vibe. After all, isn’t coming home all about feeling … Well, at home?

So, Columbia buddies and fellow Tigers, let’s have a blast. Stay safe, and let’s keep roaring.

Edited by Tierney Kugel | tkugel@themaneater.com 

Copy Edited by Natalie Kientzy and Sterling Sewell | ssewell@themaneater.com