January 24, 2024

Photos by Claire Nguyen

Video by Eric Kiekeben

Mayor Barbara Buffaloe signs Gaza ceasefire proclamation brought to city council.

At the Jan. 16 Columbia City Council meeting, members of the Columbia Ceasefire Coalition, a group of student and local organizations,  addressed the city council. The speakers’ remarks supported a recently approved proclamation recognizing the importance of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war and humanitarian aid in Gaza to the City Council.

The proclamation, signed earlier that day by Columbia Mayor Barbara Buffaloe, recognized that Jan. 14 marked 100 days since the Israel-Hamas war began, and called for the United States to use its diplomatic power to call for an immediate ceasefire in all parts of Gaza, which would allow humanitarian aid into the area.

“Our community for ceasefire transcends religious and ethnic divides,” Cass Donish, an MU English professor, said while addressing the city council. “We grieve the losses on all sides of this conflict.” 

A person speaks into the podium microphone while a woman stands to her left.
MU PhD candidate and member of If Not Now Cass Donish speaks with Junior and president of Mizzou Students for Justice in Palestine Isleen Atallah at the Columbia City Council meeting on Tuesday, Jan 16 at the City Hall Chambers in Columbia, Mo. “Over the past week this proclamation with the mayor’s support unfolded and that was really powerful,” Donish said. “It’s a really powerful step, but it’s just one small step.” 

The proclamation would have no legal bearing if adopted by the council but would serve as a declaration of the city’s belief in the importance of a ceasefire, according to Mizzou Students for Justice in Palestine president Isleen Atallah.

Atallah, a Palestinian-American and MU junior said she was grateful for the turnout at the city hall meeting. After Atallah and Donish finished their five-minute presentation, they asked all of those in favor of the proclamation to stand. Over 100 of those assembled stood.

“It was very heartwarming. I mean, I’m walking out of a city building and I know 80% of the people there,” Atallah said. “It’s kind of an unsaid agreement of ‘we’re all here, we’re all standing for the same thing.”

A woman smiles to her left.
MU junior President of Mizzou Students for Justice in Palestine Isleen Atallah smiles to a friend after her speech at the Columbia City Council meeting on Tuesday, Jan 16 at the City Hall Chambers in Columbia, Mo. “Peace for the Palestinian people means peace for everyone else,” Atallah said. “Because if we do achieve peace in that region then we are going to change the meaning of democracy.” 

Atallah said she recognized some of the supporters from MSJP’s weekly protests that end in front of the Columbia City Hall. The group has organized a weekly protest for the past 14 weeks since the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas attack on Israel.

Eight other organizations that make up the Columbia Ceasefire Coalition were also represented in the council chamber, including Mizzou Students for Justice in Palestine, Young Democratic Socialists of America and Muslim Students’ Organization at Mizzou. 

A woman in a crowd watches the speakers.
Sara Diab listens to junior Isleen Atallah and PhD candidate Cass Donish’s speech in front of the Columbia City Council on Tuesday, Jan 16 at the City Hall Chambers in Columbia, Mo. At the end of their speech, Atallah and Donish asked members of the audience who support the proclamation to stand up. 

“Yes, this is a great achievement, but we shouldn’t stop here to work for a permanent ceasefire,” Atallah said. “This is the first step, it isn’t the last one. Learn more, fact-check information, have the difficult conversations.” 

The proclamation does not need to be approved by the city council because it was already signed by the mayor. Organizers said they hope it will help the city do its part to be heard.

“It’s just one small step, and all over the country every local place is trying to do just one small step moving forward and trying to make change,” Donish said.

Edited by Sophia Anderson | sanderson@themaneater.com 

Copy edited by Sterling Sewell | ssewell@themaneater.com

One response to “Columbia Ceasefire Coalition brings proclamation to city hall”

1. Brentski says:

Remind me…..is there a ceasefire in Gaza???

Didn’t think so…..all these social justice coalitions do is create a sense of accomplishment for themselves, when in fact, nothing has changed or will change because the City Council signs a proclamation. The social justice crowd will all feel better about themselves but in the end they have sacrificed nothing and will impact nothing.