Movie still courtesy of True/False

Director Sylvain Cruizat chronicles the highs and lows of three boys in their journey of growing up as students in Munich

“Boyz,” directed by Sylvain Cruiziat and premiering in North America Feb. 29 at True/False Film Fest 2024,  follows the life of the director’s  younger brother Maxime with friends Julian and Vilas through their life as students in Munich, Germany. Shot on one lens over the course of three months, Cruiziat captures Maxime’s time in school, nights out with their friend group and downtime spent at their flat. 

The story begins with a shot of the three boys cuddling in bed, FaceTiming a friend to hatch plans for the evening. There are many instances of the three boys being intimate with one another, whether talking about their sexual insecurities and their uncertainty with their studies, or long embraces before Maxime leaves Munich at the end of the film. 

The first shot establishes the purpose of the documentary to show the strong emotional connection Gen-Z boys can have with one another, which is something the director notes is different from his friendships when he was their age. The female experience is something often discussed in mainstream media with films like Barbie and Poor Things, so getting to see male intimacy to this extent is extremely refreshing.  

Another aspect Cruziat documents is Maxime’s insecurity with his sexual experiences. “If you’re 20 and still a virgin,” Maxime admits to his brother, “You’re gonna be sensitive.” 

The three friends casually discuss penis sizes while bowling and sexuality another time over dinner with Julian’s girlfriend. This concept is strengthened by shots of their nights out, expressing their desire to get with girls but rarely doing so. The awkwardness and fears associated with first sexual experiences are conveyed smoothly and honestly, making their discussion relatable to an extent. 

The storyline of “Boyz” does feel unfocused at points. Maxime’s studying abroad in Singapore is briefly mentioned in the middle and end of the film, but it is unclear when he was going and for how long. 

There were also names of contributing female friends that were missed, which could have strengthened the plot of the film — and even the names of the boys themselves could have easily been missed. 

The dialogue audio was very quiet, which was noticed by myself and fellow audience members. 

This likely contributed to the confusion with certain plot points, but the details in the story feel less important compared to the ultimate goal of conveying the strong platonic love between the three students. 

The final portion of the film shows Maxime packing for Singapore with he and Julian saying their goodbyes. They hug for what feels like forever, while Julian tells Maxime “I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

Their embrace solidifies their strong bond to the audience and their acknowledgment of the love they have for each other. It is something truly special to watch since the relationship they have is so unique compared to how the media often portrays young men. 

Although “Boyz” has no clear direct storyline, it does take the audience through the European Gen-Z male experience in friendship, sexuality and the pains of growing up. It warms the heart to see boys being so caring and honest with each other, and will hopefully serve as an example to males that being intimate and honest with trusted friends will only help their experience at any stage of life. 

Edited by Annie Goldman | agoldman@themaneater.com 

Copy edited by Sterling Sewell | ssewell@themaneater.com 

Edited by Scout Hudson | shudson@themaneater.com

The Maneater has the right to remove comments that do not comply with policies surrounding hate speech.