MOVE’s guide to the most interesting spring courses

Round out your schedule with one of these hidden gems in MyZou.

It’s enrollment time again, and maybe your spring schedule could use some work. Taking too few credits, a week full of boring classes, having barren Tuesdays — whatever your problem is, fear not. There are some really intriguing courses offered here at the Zou that could fill the hole or replace what you’re dreading in your schedule. It can take forever to trudge through MyZou to find them, so here are MOVE’s picks of some of the more interesting upcoming courses you might not know about.

Science

Anthropology 2530 - 01: Human Evolution through Film and Literature

What: This nine-day course during winter break discusses human evolution, genetics and evolution through recent film and novels. If you like science and movies, this is for you.

When: 9-11:30 a.m., Monday through Friday, but only Jan. 3-13

Credits: 2

Food Science 2195 - 01 / Plant Science 2195 - 01: Grapes and Wines of the World

What: At the time I’m writing this, there’s only one seat left in this course, so jump to MyZou quickly. This class is all about wine: how it’s made, which wines are popular where, its cultural importance, its health benefits and how to classify kinds of wine. Plus, you get to do wine tastings. (Yes, you have to be 21 or older.)

When: 6:30-8:30 p.m., Monday and Wednesday

Credits: 3

Geology 2220H - 01: Honors Seminar: Headline Topics in the Geological Science: Geology of the National Parks

What: This honors course is the perfect upper-level science class for National Parks lovers. The best part? There’s an optional spring break trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

When: 11-11:50 a.m., Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Credits: 3

Geology 2150 - 01: The Age of the Dinosaurs

What: I’m not going to lie to you — Rate My Professors reviews say this class is a challenge. But if you love dinosaurs and are on a mission to memorize all of their names, this is the science course for you.

When: 10-10:50 a.m., Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Credits: 3

Social science

History 2004 - 01: Topics in History-Social Science — Gladiators

What: It’s a history course all about gladiators. What more do you need to know?

When: 12:30-1:45 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday

Credits: 3

History 2580 - 01: Mafia Myth and Reality: The Italian Mafia and the Nation-State, 1860 to the Present

What: This course offers an in-depth look at the Italian Mafia. It traces the origins of the mafia up until present day, with looks at both fictional representations and actual modern Italian history. In short, it sounds incredible.

Credits: 3

History 4425 - 01: The Superhero in American Culture from Washington to Wolverine

What: In addition to having one of the catchiest course names ever, it’s also so popular that it’s currently closed. It’s one to keep your eye on to see if an opening appears, because it’s all about tracing and analyzing American pop culture throughout the country’s history.

When: 2-3:15 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday

Credits: 3

Humanities

Classical Humanities 3775 - 02: The Ancient World on Film

What: Why not fulfill that upper-level humanities requirement with an online course all about how 20th- and 21st-century films represent the ancient world?

When: Online

Credits: 3

English 2150 - 03: Popular Literature — Tolkien

What: Love The Lord of the Rings and have been planning on reading (or rereading) the books? You can get three hours of class credit for doing so!

When: Online

Credits: 3

English 2860 - 02 / Film Studies 2860 - 02: Film Themes and Genres — Film Noir

What: If you love mysteries and crime dramas, analyze the genre of film noir and nab some English or Film Studies credits while you’re at it.

When: 9:30-10:45 a.m., Tuesday and Thursday; or 3:30-6 p.m., Tuesday

Credits: 3

English 3110 - 01: Special Themes in Literature — History of Science Fiction

What: If you’re a sci-fi junkie, you can fulfill your upper-level humanities credit by reading a bunch of the genre and studying its history.

When: 12-12:50 p.m., Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Credits: 3

English 2200H - 01: Studies in British Literature — Honors — Jane Austen

What: If Pride and Prejudice’s Mr. Darcy swept you off your feet, consider this honors English course that surveys all of Jane Austen’s novels. There’s even an optional film festival of Austen movies during the semester.

When: 1-1:50 p.m., Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Credits: 3

Miscellaneous

Journalism 4482W - 01: Field Reporting: Wine Country Writing — Writing Intensive

What: Get ready for another wine-themed course. It’s all about the culture, historical context and trends of wine, enabling you to report about wine country in Missouri and elsewhere. Make sure you’re ready to report, as this is a writing intensive class.

When: 2-4:30 p.m., Monday

Credits: 3

Journalism 4480W - 01: Will Write for Food (and Wine) — Writing Intensive

What: If you have dreams of becoming a famous food critic, or if you’re a journalism major simply hoping for a break from typical reporting, make sure to check out this course. It’s all about how to write about food and wine.

When: 2-4:30 p.m., Tuesday

Credits: 3

Plant Science 2220 - Multiple Sections: Introduction to Floral Design

What: Channel your inner Pinterest goddess in this course. You’ll learn the basics of floral design, which will enable you to be the coolest dinner party host and gift-giver in the future.

When: There are 12 sections, so there are lots of different times to choose from.

Credits: 2

Religious Studies 3451W - 01: Religion in Science Fiction — Writing Intensive

What: This class is great for sci-fi fans or those interested in religion and folklore. According to the course description on MyZou, themes you’ll study include “nature of the sacred, the limits of human knowledge, understanding and experiencing transcendence, revelation and apocalypse.”

When: Online

Credits: 3